The Gaskell Society is a Registered Charity (Ref 1098017). Our main purpose is to promote the works of Elizabeth Gaskell by regular publications, speaker presentations and discussion groups, and visits to places with links to the Gaskell family. In order to achieve this we need to collect and store a limited amount of personal data for members or friends of the Society.
What Information do we collect
- Names and addresses of all subscribing members (provided to us via membership Application Forms or Change of Address Notifications)
- Gift Aid Agreements (paper copies)
- Email addresses where they have been provided to us
- Contact details of non-members who request to be informed about Gaskell Society events or want to attend events which require their registration.
- Paypal contact details where provided to us, to facilitate invoices for payments to the Gaskell Society.
What do we do with your data
- Names and addresses are used to produce labels to enable us to post the Newsletters and Journals that are covered by the membership subscription.
- Names and addresses may also be used occasionally to post information about special activities or membership subscription reminders.
- Email addresses may be used to send information about forthcoming Gaskell Society activities.
- Data from Gift Aid forms is used to enable us to reclaim Gift Aid on members’ subscriptions from HMRC.
- Provide information or publications to non-members on request, using whatever contact details are provided to us.
- Paypal may be used to facilitate payments for Gaskell Society subscriptions, specific events or publications etc.
Protecting your data
The names and addresses of members are held by the Gaskell Society Membership Secretary. Email addresses are held by the Secretary of the Gaskell Society. Gift Aid data is held by the Gaskell Society Treasurer. Any changes should be notified to the relevant committee member. This information may be made available to other Committee members or Branch coordinators as appropriate.
All reasonable steps are taken to maintain security and protect against unauthorized access, loss, manipulation, falsification or unauthorized disclosure.
We will not pass any contact details onto any third party (unless instructed by you to do so), except for:
- The provision of individual sets of name and address labels to the printer of the annual Journal to allow them to post them out on our behalf.
- Gift Aid data to HMRC
Any individual has the right to request access to the information held, correct any information that may be incorrect, or withdraw consent to our use of your data, by emailing us at:
If we receive a request to have an individual’s personal data removed from use by the Gaskell Society, their contact details will be deleted and they will be sent an email informing them of our actions.