We’re a very active and friendly society and anyone with an interest in Elizabeth Gaskell is very welcome to join us. We host regular talks, webinars and outings with events taking place in Manchester, Knutsford, London, Bath and also online.
Every year, we send our members a copy of The Gaskell Journal . This peer-reviewed publication features new essays, research and studies relating to the writings of Elizabeth Gaskell, as well as book reviews and society updates. Members also receive our Newsletter (published twice a year), which contains articles relating to Elizabeth Gaskell and information about the Society’s programme of events.
For a modest annual subscription, your membership includes:
• The Gaskell Journal
• The Gaskell Society Newsletter
• Information about – and a warm invitation to – our year-round calendar of member events
• An invitation to the Gaskell Society Conference in Britain (held every 2 years)
• Visits to places associated with Mrs Gaskell in Britain and Europe
• Annual General Meeting in Manchester in March/April, with a lecture, lunch and afternoon talk
• Autumn Meeting in Knutsford in September
• Programmes of lectures, study sessions and tours/visits by our various branches
We have a number of different membership options – choose the one that suits you.